Do you think you can dance? This week’s #TMITuesday feature can not only dance, but is Afterbuzz TV’s official So You Think You Can Dance, and Dancing with the Stars after show host. I sat down to ask Kristyn Burtt about her dance skills, find out if she can hit that nae nae, what inspires her, and more in this week’s interview!
1. Afterbuzz covers so many shows, what are some of your favourites and why?
I cover two shows for AfterBuzz TV — Dancing With the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance. I come from a professional dance background, so being able to utilize my love for dance with my hosting skills is the best of both worlds.
2. Since today is #TMITuesday is there something you can tell the readers about you that they may not already know?
I was quiet in class during my school years! I am pretty loud and outgoing now, but I was an obedient kid who did her homework and didn’t get into trouble. I don’t think I really found my voice until I graduated from college.
3. Specifically you host the after shows for Dancing with the Stars, and So You Think You Can Dance; what’s your signature dance move?
If you ever meet me, ask me to do the choreography from Michael Jackson’s “Beat It.” I bring out the dance at parties or on command.
4. Who or what inspires you?
Strong women inspire me. It’s tough being a women out there these days. We are expected to do it all and be everything to everyone. Social media adds a new layer of pressures to young girls, so I love women who are out there mentoring the next generation. It’s so important that women support each other, rise up together and make a mark on this world.
5. What would you say is your “theme song”?
It’s old, but I still love this as an anthem — Katy Perry’s “Firework.” 2011 was a year of transformation for me and it was the perfect song to motivate me to achieve my goals.
6. I interview a lot of reality TV personalities, do you watch any reality TV shows?
I do! Bravo TV is my go-to channel for reality shows. I am obsessed with Jeff Lewis on Flipping Out and I watch every franchise of Million Dollar Listing. The Housewives franchise is a harder sell for me, but a good dose of Bethenny Frankel is fun every once in awhile.
7. Who is your “celebrity crush”?
I love the Cumberbatch. Benedict Cumberbatch is my favorite actor lately — not only because he’s a good actor — but because his performances come from a cerebral place. He’s very intelligent about his work and I think that’s sexy.
8. If you had to choose, what’s your favourite thing about your job?
I love that every day is different. Each day brings its own set of challenges from a red carpet to a sit-down interview, I am always excited by the possibilities of what is happening in the entertainment world. The last few years have also seen a tremendous rise in the popularity of dance, so I have been thrilled to be a small part of that.
9. There have been so many dance crazes in music lately, can you whip, and nae nae?
Of course! Even though my MJ moves are from the ’80s, I can hit a 2015 move or two.
10. What’s next for you?
I will be finishing up Season 12 of So You Think You Can Dance and starting Season 21 of Dancing With the Stars the same week. It’s going to be a busy fall, but I’m ready for it!
Stay tuned next week for an all new #TMITuesday interview!