I have anxiously been awaiting this week’s feature because this segment wouldn’t exist without her. This week’s feature went from DJing worldwide dance floors to a small town in Canada. Formally of The Wax Museum (where, if you know me I got my start as a writer) Stacey has turned her passion for music into a career. Now she has a brand-new radio show and I of course convinced her to talk about in this week’s #TMITuesday interview.
“Toronto born ViVi Diamond (Stacey) spent over a decade as a professional DJ before becoming disillusioned with the city and nightlife scene. In 2017, she and her partner Geoffrey escaped to rural Cape Breton to pursue their creative dreams, forming Cabot Trail Pathfinders.
Inspired by Stacey’s adventures around Cape Breton Island, TRAIL TRÆX is a new project focusing on alternative indie, folk and electronic music. TRAIL TRÆX is recorded at Cedar Peak in Grand Étang, Nova Scotia, airing every Wednesday at 9PM AST on CKJM 106.1FM in Chéticamp. “
1. What makes the PERFECT playlist?
One that is irresistible to sing along to!
2. Ummm CONGRATS ON THE SHOW! Tell me about it?
Thank you! After becoming disillusioned with Toronto’s nightlife scene I moved to rural Cape Breton in 2017. I had fallen out of love with pop music, either I didn’t enjoy it or I found the memories of uniting a crowd over it too painful. I started listening to music that I considered un-djable, but the itch to curate eventually got me and I started recording mixes again. Inspired by my adventures around Cape Breton Island, TRAIL TRÆX is my new project focusing on modern alternative indie, folk and electronic music. I record the show at our home, Cedar Peak, in Grand Étang, Nova Scotia. It airs every Wednesday at 9PM AST on CKJM 106.1FM in Chéticamp.
3. So, Chéticamp is a tiny Acadian town and the show is technically on an Acadian French station so how will it stand out from the others?
The majority of the station’s programming is in French, but there is a wide variety of music from different DJs. There isn’t much locally in terms of an alternative or indie scene, so I’m hoping to introduce some new sounds and relatively unknown artists to the airwaves! I am doing a very minimal amount of speaking on the show as it is composed in a mixtape style, however, I’m currently taking French lessons, so I hope to improve on my French skills and do that presenting en français!
4. Since today is #TMITuesday can you tell the readers something about you that they may not already know?
I can’t ride a bike! This is my next summer’s goal.
5. If you were a Drake song, what Drake song would you be?
OMG how do I even answer this? Going with my favourite drake lyric so: Headlines.. cuz I tuck my napkin in my shirt cause I’m just mobbing like that.
6. Can you talk to me a little bit about going from DJing dance floors all the way from Toronto to Prague, to living in a small Canadian town?!
For most people from Toronto in their mid 30s, the thought of living in a fishing village on the east coast would probably be torture, but for me, my 20s were so over-the-top crazy that I feel like I experienced several lifetimes worth of action in a decade and was ready to retire. However, I couldn’t imagine my life without those sweaty basement dance floors and endless after-hours in t.o., the adrenaline of big shows, all the nights of drunken antics and laughter, OR that time I backpacked around Europe playing for peanuts. #yolo
7. Some of the readers may not know but you actually gave me my start in writing with The Wax Museum, if you could go back to 2013 and speak to younger us what would you say?
THANK GOD WE DIDN’T GET YOLO FINGER TATTOOS.
8. The pandemic has affected many aspects of the world including live music; did you tune into any zoom/twitch live streamed concerts?
No, actually! I probably should be though! Any recommendations??
9. If you had to choose a song to be your ‘theme song’ what would it be and why?
Enter The Ninja by Die Antwoord because I like to yell all the words to it when I need to get pumped up for anything.
10. What’s next for you?
I have lots of ideas for the show, TRAIL TRÆX, that I’m going to start exploring! Otherwise I’m just living my simple life out here: hiking in the mountains, relaxing by the ocean, and waiting for this pandemic to chill so my friends & family can have an East Coast reunion.
Keep up with the show here:
Mailing List: http://eepurl.com/hh65-X
And check out episode one NOW!