Over the last few years on MTV we have watched this feature fall in and out of love on our screens on both Are You The One and Ex On The Beach. Now, the mother of one with one on the way is leading a new life.
I sat down with Shannon Duffy to talk about her time on reality TV, get some advice for fellow AYTO alumni on parenting, and find out if she keeps in touch with any of her former castmates.
1. You recently announced on Instagram that you are expecting your second child (congratulations!), how has motherhood been treating you? Any advice for soon-to-be parents and fellow AYTO alumni Kam Williams?
Thank you so much!! I think I was meant for motherhood, it’s definitely been one crazy journey that’s for sure, but it’s taught me so much about love, patience and strength. Advice for soon-to-be parents and for Kam ENJOY EVERY MINUTE. I swear you blink and in a flash, your baby has already changed so much. Take lots and lots of pictures and videos and don’t forget not to forget each other. I think it’s hard for couples to get lost within being parents, but taking time also for each other and yourselves is very important.
2. If you could choose one song to be your ‘theme song’ what would it be and why?
My theme song would definitely be Here Comes the Sun by The Beatles. First of all, The Parent Trap is my favorite movie, so the fact that it plays in that is already amazing. But it’s just a song about so much hope for the future and that there are brighter days after going through difficult times.
3. Do you keep In touch with anyone from your season of Are You The One?
I keep in touch with the majority of people from my season!
4. What about Ex On The Beach?
As well as Ex on the Beach, I still keep in contact with a good amount of them!
5. Since today is #TMITuesday can you tell the readers something about you that they may not already know?
Something readers might now know about me, hmm, that’s hard because I feel like I’ve always been so transparent being on and off TV! I’m practically an open book lol.
6. Do you feel that you were accurately represented on reality TV?
I think overall I would have to say yes I was. I have a huge heart and if I care, I’ll show it. I have my obnoxious traits, like everyone, but why wouldn’t I own who I am? At the end of the day, everything I have done and said on TV has been my own doing. You’re never forced to be someone you’re not and if you choose to portray yourself differently than how you really are, your true self somehow always shows, whether the viewers see it during or after the show. Lol does that make sense or am I rambling?!
7. And on that note, would you appear on reality TV again?
I definitely would appear on reality TV again, but I would be more selective on what I choose to go on especially now that I have two daughters.
8. What has been the most surprising thing about being a mother?
The most surprising thing about being a mother has been the fact that I’m more self-aware. I used to be so carefree that I didn’t really think much about my actions, but now I’m constantly thinking about my babies and what to do for them. I’ve definitely become more overprotective as well.
9. What about the most rewarding thing?
I think the most rewarding thing about being a mother is waking up every day next to my baby. Just waking up and she has a smile on her face, ready to start the day with me. Those are the moments I live for. Just creating a new memory with my daughter and feeling so unconditionally loved by her.
10. What’s next for you Shannon?
Girl, I’m ready to pop this baby out LMAO. That’s what’s next for me! I’m due on May 30th, so I’ve just been relaxing and enjoying these last moments with just me and my baby girl before we add one to the team! 🙂